Tuesday, 28 August 2012

Every cloud has a Kohl lining

One cold, wet and miserable November evening four friends huddled around a table in a bar off the Royal Mile.

A disappointing 2009 was drawing to a close as the group discussed a fragile project while nursing chilled Chardonnay.

The project was Kohl Publishing. The girl's were Leila Cruikshank, Lesley Dickson, Christine Wilson and myself. We had been bound together that year while publishing my own book 'A Girl's Guide To Vintage' through the publishing house they worked for at the time.

Without them my first book would never have happened, for that I'm eternally grateful.

As we threw around the grand notion of a female friendly publishers based in Scotland I could tell this wasn't just some fictional fantasy. I could see a grit and determination growing in Leila and Lesley and was excited by their willingness to want to change their own destiny.

Three years on those two girl stood up proudly at the Edinburgh Book Festival showing their new baby off to the world introducing their first book to the market. As I watched from the shadows at the back of the room I thought I might burst with pride.

This is what a dream looks like when you apply a little hard work to it.

Congrats Chica's!


No comments:

Post a Comment